Recipe Wednesday: Brussels Sprouts and Bacon

February 15, 2013

| I know this is getting posted on Friday. Remember those internet problems I talked about? They came back. |
Welcome to Recipe Wednesday. This is new. And you’re going to love it.

But first, let’s talk for a minute before I let you in on one of my favorite side dishes. If you know me or have read any bit of my blog, you’ll know I eat Paleo. I believe this is the best way to maintain health and (in combination with CrossFit) the best way to achieve peak physical fitness. I know some people disagree and I know some people are heavily judging me right now. Especially if you are one of my co-workers who saw me eat a (not Paleo) peppermint patty tonight along with Pirate’s Booty for dinner. Yep, that was my dinner. It was one of those days.

I love eating clean and going to CrossFit. However, I am a human. Human beings are not perfect. I cannot reach paleo perfection. It will never happen. There are going to be nights when I make and eat Shepherd’s Pie. My ingredients may be organic and with raw cheese but still not perfect paleo. One of my favorite paleo blogs, PaleOMG, admits that she enjoys things that aren’t paleo and she’s the real deal. Two women who I have a ton of respect for, Liz Wolfe and Diane Sanfilippo (who are the women behind the Balanced Bites podcast and seminar) talk on their podcast how paleo perfection just cannot be real life. Imagine how stressed you would be if you constantly lived your life searching for only paleo foods. However, there are staples that I will not eat unless I am having a crisis and then I always immediately regret it afterwards. I will not eat gluten. No, thank you. I do not want the headache that always comes after I enjoy a Panera bagel. I will not eat foods with a list of ingredients that are all fake foods. Seeing some type of acid on the list of ingredients and thinking “Gee, I’ve never heard of that, wonder how it tastes” is not the same as thinking “Gee, I’ve never seen that spikey fruit before, wonder how it tastes.” If someone handed you a test tube of a concoction called “Fumaric Acid” would you drink it? But it adds a fruit-like taste to your foods. Yum manmade fruit-like taste.

Life should not be stressful. If food is ruling your life you need a serious life check. Food is fuel. Food is not your dictator. There are times in your life that you will ebb and flow in your eating habits. If you have a bad meal, do not stress about it. Make your next meal clean. This reminds me of this post I saw on Instagram a few days ago:
Follow WODlife on Instagram, they're so inspiring


And now onto the more fun part of Recipe Wednesday! So one of my favorite things I’ve been really into lately is Brussels Sprouts. That food that every child hated, I actually liked it. I have not eaten it in years but I recently remembered it was a food when I saw it in the produce section a few weeks ago. I brought it home and combined it with the best food ever discovered: bacon.

Brussels Sprouts and Bacon
6 Pieces of bacon, sliced and diced
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
2 Cups Brussels sprouts
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
Pinch of sea salt

Heat a large skillet on medium heat and add coconut oil.
Add bacon and Brussels Sprouts to pan, fry until bacon is mostly cooked
Add vinegar and sea salt and fry until bacon is fully cooked and Brussels Sprouts are slightly browned


This side goes great on its own or with steak. Enjoy!!

No comments :

Post a Comment