What happens when we get sick

February 6, 2013

Hello virtual friends,
So, I had big plans for my morning. I was going to go to the DMV and get my name changed there. That didn't happen. I needed to sleep in. I thought I was going to fall asleep at work yesterday. Husband and I have been going to bed way to late. So I had a wonderfully relaxing morning of watching Vampire Diaries and making Paleo Porridge. Yep, I just admitted I'm a Vampire Diaries watcher. No shame here.

But about the porridge. Pretty much the best thing to happen to the paleo world since grass-fed butter. I found the recipe in Practical Paleo. That is probably one of my favorite paleo cookbooks out there. Not only does the book provide great recipies, but it also has month long meal plans and and explanation of all things paleo. Including why fermented foods are great, which I'm big on. I'm currently brewing my own kombucha. Only 10 days left until I can drink my yummy homemade bucha. Yay!

Paleo Porridge with apples and a piece of grass-fed butter


Our household has been experiencing a little bit of sickness this week. I woke up yesterday with a bit of a sore throat and just feeling generally icky. I can handle being sick but my poor puppy is sick too. He's got a bit of an upset stomach. Our usual cure for sickness is drinking lots of bone broth, taking oil of oregano, and eating/drinking something fermented, like sauerkraut or bucha. When puppy is sick, he gets rice and chicken. I think he prefers being sick because the food is so much tastier when he's ill. The marrow from the bone broth helps the immune system by carrying oxygen to cells in the body, which is a good thing. Bone broth is super easy to make and I highly recommend doing so. Here's what you do:
Buy some soup bones, about 1 pound is usually how much I get.
Place them in your crock pot with 4 quarts of water and an entire bulb of garlic with each clove peeled
Put in the crock pot on high until it boils for 1 hour, this typically takes about 4 hours
Place the crock pot on low for 18 hours. Yep, 18 hours.
Drain the broth through cheese cloth and a strainer to get all of the bits and pieces out
Store in mason jars. I keep one in the fridge and the rest in the freezer. When I notice I'm getting low I move a frozen jar into the fridge and it takes a few days to thaw. If you notice something congealing on the top of your jar in the fridge, don't worry, just take off the congealed portion and throw it away. This is normal.
Bone broth is great heated up by itself or for using in soups. So much tastier than chicken broth and full of nutrients.

Well folks, that's all for today. Have a wonderful Wednesday!

No comments :

Post a Comment