One Good Thing | Marriage

March 11, 2013

Before you don’t skip over this post, just take a minute to read this statement:

I love my husband. My marriage is not perfect because I am not perfect, and I never will be. I am not saying I am a marriage and love expert, I am simply sharing what I’ve learned. This is not meant to attack anyone.

I’ve been married for 2 months and 11 days. 2 months and 11 days of joy. Marriage is one of the best things I have ever done. Ever. I’m surprised I haven’t used my marriage as a One Good Thing post before.

I think everyone should love their marriage. It is something that God intended to be wonderful. However, lately I’ve been disgusted by what I’ve seen and heard others say about their marriage. There is never a time nor a place to talk poorly of your spouse. I have heard people talk poorly of their mate and seen them write about it on several blogs I follow. The question I want to ask them is, why? Why are you saying all the things you do not like about your spouse? Why are you saying how mad they made you and how you are not going to forgive them? Is that any way to honor your marriage? Is that any way to honor your spouse by talking about private matters? At all? Ever?

Don’t get me wrong, there is a difference between asking advice from a close trusted friend and talking crap about your husband or wife. This is not what I’m talking about and I’m sure we all know the difference.

What bugs me is people not honoring their marriage. If your spouse was in your presence, or reading your blog, would you still say the same things? By talking poorly of your spouse do you think your marriage will improve? I highly doubt it will.



Something I’ve learned from my 2 months and 11 days of marriage is if you don’t work on your marriage every single day, it will begin to be broken down. If you’re not praying for your spouse everyday, your marriage slowly begins to lose sight of keeping God at the center. For me personally, if I don’t find ways to show my husband love and put him first, I begin to become self centered. I don’t mean show him love by extravagant things like making a gourmet meal for dinner or buying him gifts. I mean showing him love by doing the little things. Things like making sure we have a night of the week for just us. No friends, no blog, no anything. Just us. Time spent together is so valuable. Or another little thing like making sure his scrubs are laid out for him every day so he’s not doing a sleepy-eyed search at 5:30 am looking for the pajamas he gets to wear to the hospital. (Let’s face it, scrubs are glorified pajamas, even Jonathan will admit it.)

Marriage is truly wonderful. You literally have a sleepover with your best friend every single night. How much more awesome could things get?

No comments :

Post a Comment