Recipe Wednesday | Almond Milk

March 7, 2013

Do you know what today was?

If you’re a CrossFitter I bet you know.

Today was the day, that they announced The Open 13.1 workout. May the odds be ever in our favor.

Except they weren’t in our favor. At all.

If you’re not a CrossFitter, let me get you up to speed. There’s this thing called the CrossFit Games that takes place every summer. It’s pretty much like the olympics for CrossFit. However, to get to The Games, you’ve gotta go through Regionals. But before you get to Regionals, you’ve gotta go through The Open. The Open takes place locally through your own CrossFit box or you can video tape yourself and submit it through CrossFit’s website and compete that way. If you place within the top 60 men, 60 women, or 60 teams in your region, you can compete in Regionals. If you’re the top 3 men, 3 women, or 3 teams in Regionals, you get to go to The Games. Where undoubtedly will be beat by Rich Froning and Annie Thorrisdottir for the 3rd year in a row. Ugh.

So the first Open workout was announced tonight. To the non-CrossFit world, you could care less, to the CrossFit world, your world was turned upside down today. You probably had an “active rest day” that consisted of sweaty palms, an extra americano with raw honey, a couple of Steve’s Paleokits, and a nervous twitch that lasted until 8 PM eastern time. Can I get an amen?

I texted my father-in-law tonight and asked him if he’d seen the workout yet. His response “Oh my.” That’s when you know it’s good. You can view the workout here.

And now we move onto Recipe Wednesday. I know I said I was going to post paleo fried okra but I changed my mind. We’re going to save that for another Wednesday. Let’s talk about almond milk. Being paleo, you don’t do conventional dairy. You do coconut milk, almond milk, and brewer’s yeast. You can find almond milk in pretty much any grocery store now. (I prefer this over coconut milk just for taste preference, unless I’m cooking or baking.) You can even find unsweetened almond milk. Most people look at that and think “Hey! Almond + milk + unsweetened = paleo! Let’s get it!” Wrong. Please don’t do that. Please don’t buy it from a store. Take a peak at the ingredients first: 1. Almond milk, okay that’s good. 2. Sea salt, okay that’s good too. 3. Natural flavor, huh I’d like to know what flavor that is. 4. Locust Bean Gum, okay kinda strange, that’s a refined seed flour used as a thickener. 5. Sunflower Lecithin, what the heck? 6. Gellan gum, purely a chemical compound used as a thickening agent.

Why does my milk need 3 thickeners? It doesn’t. That’s even gross to think about.

Next time you reach for the unsweetened almond milk in the pretty carton, slap your hand and set it back down. Then trot over to the nut section of your locally owned health food/grocery store and buy yourself some almonds and some cheese cloth.

Here’s what you do with your almonds and cheese cloth:
Take 1 cup of almonds and soak them in 2 cups of water for 24 hours
Drain those almonds and place them in your blender
Add 2 1/2 cups of fresh water to the blender and blend for a few minutes
Get a bowl and place a strainer overtop
Fold up your cheese cloth a few times and lay it in your strainer
Pour your blended almonds through the cheese cloth, through the strainer, and into the bowl
Your cheese cloth should be full of almond pulp
Squeeze out all of the excess milk
Pour your fresh almond milk into a jar and save it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks
Delicious, simple, and you know exactly what every ingredient is
You can turn that almond pulp into almond meal by covering a pizza pan with foil and spreading out the almond pulp onto the pan, place it in the oven at 200 degrees for about 2 hours until the pulp is completely dried out

Doesn't that look perfect? Who needs grain-fed cow's milk?

This stuff is so awesome. I brought a jar of it to work two days ago and someone poured themselves a glass full. If you’re reading my blog, you milk stealer, I know you took some. My jar was filled to the brim when I placed it in the fridge. When I went to get myself some at lunchtime, there was a solid 4 ounces missing. The milk didn’t drink itself. 

1 comment :