Recipe Wednesday | Sweet Potato Recovery Smoothies

March 13, 2013

I finally figured out why Spotify is awesome. One of the joys of having an office job is being at a computer, which means you have plenty of time to play with Spotify. I never understood the hype around it but today I realized its social media for music. You can follow people and listen to their playlists. It’s pretty cool. I like it. And it makes the day go by a little quicker. And it's free. I like that.
Since the Open has started, I’ve been really pushing my body. And I’m not super into the whole whey protein thing so I’ve never used it. I don’t think my body can process whey very well. So I began to research other recovery protein options. I really don’t feel like I need a pre-workout protein but it’s always the recovery I struggle with. My legs are always sore. Sore enough that I can’t walk very quickly 2 days after a tough workout. I know CrossFit is tough and definitely tests my limits but I’d like to be able to walk a little quicker.
Upon doing research for recovery proteins I found something and paleo eaters and CrossFitters love: sweet potatoes! That’s right just your average yam. The reason that sweet potatoes are good for recovery is because they have natural anti-inflammatory properties. They’re also packed full of vitamins such as Vitamin A. Sweet potatoes also help stabilize insulin levels.
Being that sweet potatoes have such great benefits I decided I needed to figure out how to make a recovery drink out of them. I’ve come up with not 1 but 2 sweet potato recovery smoothies! I have actually tested both of these right after my workouts and I feel that I have recovered faster. It was wonderful. (I encourage you to have the sweet potatoes already softened and ready to be thrown into your blender right when you get home from working out. I’ve been told by several CrossFit coaches and nutrition experts that a recovery drink works best right after the workout) They even have funky cool names.
Speaking of funky cool names, I recently won a contest! I never win contests! I won a contest with Barefoot Bucha! My favorite local kombucha brewers. I created the name for their new flavor through a Facebook contest and I won! I get an awesome t-shirt and bragging rights. When you see Cherry Root kombucha by Barefoot Bucha in stores, think of me. Because that’s who gave the drink its name.
Sweet-Carrot Recovery Smoothie
Ingredients:
1 Sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
¼ Cup baby carrots
1 Banana
½ Cup almond milk
2 Teaspoons of cinnamon
Handful of ice
Boil a pot of water and throw in your sweet potato chunks and baby carrots. Boil for 10 minutes or until softened
Drain veggies
Throw everything in blender and blend for about 1 minute or until your dog starts growling at the blender
Potato-Berry Recovery Smoothie
Ingredients:
1 Sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
1/3 Cup of frozen blueberries
1 Banana
½ Cup almond milk
Handful of ice
Boil a pot of water and throw in your sweet potato chunks and baby carrots. Boil for 10 minutes or until softened
Drain veggies
Throw everything in blender and blend for about 1 minute or until your dog starts quivering in the corner because he’s scared of the blender now, poor puppy

No comments :

Post a Comment