healthy cocktail, allergies, and traveling

April 21, 2013

So this week my husband and I are traveling to Massachusetts. My mother-in-law is originally from Gloucester and we’re headed up there for a few days. Jonathan’s grandfather passed away on Christmas Even this past year. The memorial service has been postponed to a time when the family would all be able to gather in Gloucester without the threat of winter weather and this is the time it happened to work best with everyone’s schedules. We’ll be traveling there to celebrate his grandfather’s life. This trip will be sad in nature but refreshing to see the family again.

Traveling has never been a problem for my husband and I. We always make it to the airport on time and we always breeze through security. (Except for the one time I took a rock home from the beach and put it in my carry-on. I was asked if I was carrying any explosives and watched a TSA lady cop empty out my bag. I pack a bunch of stuff in my carry-ons, she wasn’t amused when she saw it was a rock.)

We even love all of the awesome, nutrient dense, grain free, not at all processed, airport food that is available at every airport across the country. Not. That doesn’t exist, in any airport. (Except the Udi’s Restaurant in the Denver airport, that’s awesome.) So, we’ve got to plan our airport snacks way ahead of time. I don’t think I can sit through a flight without eating so I have to plan on taking a lot of snacks. I’ve currently got jerky marinating, kale chips on the dehydrator, and I’m making apple pie granola Wednesday. (Be prepared for a recipe loaded post on Wednesday.)

If my sister-in-law Ashley just read that last paragraph, she is probably gagging by now. The last time we were on a plane together, I brought some kale chips. But, they weren’t fully cooled when I put them in the plastic bag, mistake #2. (One of those things I made the morning of our flight, mistake #1.) So when I put them in the bag, they became moist again. And when I opened them on the flight, the most unpleasant smell filled the plane. I’m pretty sure everyone hated me and I couldn’t close the bag quick enough. I will not be making that mistake this time. Don’t worry Ashley, they’ll be smell free.

There’s been a nasty cold going around my office. I was scared I was going to pick up whatever everyone else had. Luckily, my first jar of fermented cod liver oil/butter oil blend arrived at my house last week (more on this another day). And I’ve created a tasty new cocktail, not the kind of cocktail you’re thinking of. It’s a blend of lemon, honey, and oil of oregano.

Healthy Cocktail:
8 oz hot water
1/2 lemon, sliced
1 tablespoon of local, raw, honey
4 drops of oil of oregano



Squeeze the lemons into a mug and drop the slices into the mug as well, pour the hot water over-top, add in the honey and oil of oregano and stir well.

Here’s my logic behind the drink: lemons have a pretty high content of vitamin c. There’s a theory behind eating local honey that carries the idea that if you ingest some of the same pollens that cause you to suffer from seasonal allergies, your body would get more accustomed to them being present. Thus reducing your headaches, sneezing, and runny nose. The oil of oregano is a natural antimicrobial and you can read more about my love for it on one of my past blog posts.

You may be thinking I’m using some hippie logic to keep myself from catching a cold and fighting allergies this spring but it’s worked so far. I haven’t missed one day of work because of a cold yet! I encourage you to give it a try if you feel the beginning of a cold or allergies beginning to hit. Let me know your experiences or tips with natural remedies that help you this time of year!


5 comments :

  1. Hello to every one, it's genuinely a nice for me to go to see this website, it includes helpful Information.

    Here is my weblog ... fitness pal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic post however I was wanting to know if you could write a litte
    more on this topic? I'd be very grateful if you could elaborate a little bit more. Thanks!

    my weblog :: mouse click the next web page

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heya i'm for the first time here. I came across this board and I find It really useful & it helped me out a lot. I hope to give something back and help others like you aided me.

    Also visit my site - shareatalent.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here.
    The sketch is attractive, your authored subject matter stylish.

    nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following.
    unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this
    increase.

    My web page ... weight loss pills

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! Quick question that's totally off topic. Do you know how to make your site mobile friendly? My web site looks weird when browsing from my apple iphone. I'm trying to find a theme or plugin that might be able
    to resolve this problem. If you have any recommendations,
    please share. Cheers!

    my web-site: lifestyle furniture

    ReplyDelete