Housewife Tip | Paleo Puppy and a Cleaning Schedule

April 2, 2013

Ah the art of forgetting everything. I pretty much mastered that art when I began to blog. I need to get a day planner and write down what I need to do each day. So, I can stop forgetting that I need to write. I have tomorrow off. First thing I’m going to do is buy a day planner, so I can stop promising y’all I’ll give you a recipe and then forget that I promised to write. That way I can stick to my actual schedule of writing.

I love blogging. But by the time I get home from work and CrossFit, all I can think about is food, husband, and my puppy. Who currently hates me. My puppy is very growly lately. I mean over everything he starts growling at me. I think I might be because his ears have been bugging him or he’s trying to murder me and have Jonathan all to himself. The vet gave him some ear drops to fight off infections but I don’t think they work. I also don’t think spending $230 per vet visit is working either. So we’re trying a holistic route now. That’s right; puppy is turning into paleo puppy. Our holistic route to treating Denver’s ear infection is a 2 step process. I read that organic apple cider vinegar used as an ear wash can reduce pain and inflammation, that’s step 1. Step 2 is a few drops of garlic oil which can kill ear mites and yeast as well as fight any sort of infection. Our typical antibiotics from the vet take about 10 days to mask our puppy’s symptoms (that’s what I think is happening, I don’t think anything is being killed that is causing his infections. I think this is a ploy to get us to return to the vet often.) I’ll you guys updated with the progress of Denver’s ears. We’re starting the treatment tonight. I’m going to take before and after pictures and do a post in 10 days with an update. Hopefully, we will get better results than with traditional ear drops from the vet. I’m saying a prayer for this. Literally. 

Okay so I need to give y’all a housewife tip, since I slacked on Easter Sunday. My overall goal for my Housewife Sunday posts is to be able to provide tips for happy homemaking as I’m learning this myself. Being a newlywed has taught me a lot already; especially a lot about living with a man. One of the biggest things I’ve learned is the importance of keeping things clean and organized. When I was living by myself, I created a cleaning chart. This way I could keep up with a room of my house every day of the week.  I found that this worked out best and I never felt overwhelmed. Then I take one day every month to do a deep cleaning.

Over the next 7 weeks, I’ll share with you, my wonderful readers, what to clean each day of the week. The important thing is to find a schedule that works for you. For example, Sundays are the days I end up cleaning the bedroom and changing the sheets and Mondays I work on the kitchen. If you can’t find time to clean the kitchen on Mondays then modify the cleaning schedule to fit your life. The important aspect is to take each day to do one area of your house and there are certain things that need to be done on a daily basis. For example, I believe 1 load of dishes and 1 load of laundry should be done every other day. (This means washed, dried and put away :-) ) I have learned that these are the two things that gather most in our household and if I don’t do one or the other every day, I’m stuck with a day of doing dishes and laundry all day. Not fun. With this cleaning schedule, I typically only spend about 20-30 minutes a day cleaning. So much better than all day on a Sunday or Saturday.
The easiest way to stick to your schedule is to make a schedule, print it out, and tape it to your fridge. 



So let’s start with the area I clean on Sundays: the bedroom. The first thing I do is strip the bed of our sheets and duvet and throw them in the washer before we go to church. When we get home from church I throw everything in the dryer and take another set of sheets out of the closet and make our bed. Then I get that day’s load of laundry together and throw it in the wash. After I’ve got the machines going, I clean off our dressers and wipe them down with Pledge wipes (which are amazing). Once the dressers are looking neat and clean, I dust our fan. (I use a Swiffer duster to take care of this. It’s amazing how dirty a fan can get.) Once I’ve tidied the bedroom and cleaned off the surfaces I vacuum the room and call it a day as far as the bedroom is concerned. Really simple and easy.

Something Jonathan told me is that he really appreciates clean sheets every Sunday. For some reason this really meant a lot to him when we got married and moved in together. I guess there’s something about clean sheets and a made bed that can make my man smile. 


1 comment :