US Airways is awful

April 25, 2013

I love traveling. My husband and I always check in early, have our seats confirmed, breeze through security, find our gate, and have enough time to enjoy a light snack before our flight. Always a pleasant experience.

This morning started off kind of weird. I’ve made my apple pie granola recipe several times now. It always turns out perfectly golden and delicious. This morning, it looks like it sat in the tanning bed too long. It’s slightly burnt and not very delicious. And I have no idea how it got burnt, same temperature and cooking time as always, but I ended with a different result. So strange.

We left for the airport on time, my bro-in-law picked us up and we started the 45 minute drive to the airport we were flying out of with great attitudes and looking forward to the day.

When we arrived at the airport and my loving husband was checking us in, he asked the  US Airways rep how we could choose our seats from the kiosk, she informed him that only my sis-in-law and her baby had confirmed seats. Jonathan and I were in purgatory. Commence anger. So here’s what happened, we bought our tickets, paid for them, and US Airways decided to over-book the flight so now we are not guaranteed seats even though they are paid for.

Let’s do some simple math. Let’s say there’s 100 seats on our little hopper plane to Charlotte Airport, that means you can sell 100 tickets. 100-100=0 But here’s what US Airways did, 100-120= -20. And they expect us not to be upset because “if someone volunteers to give up their seat, they will write us a check for our tickets and give us a voucher.” Oh how kind. Not like it inconveniences our travel day, or makes us miss our next flight to Boston. Needless to say, I have not felt anger in a long time, today I feel the full effect. I mean, we’re headed to a memorial service and US Airways has found a way to make this more difficult than it already is.

Ending anger. Deep breath. Luckily, I brought plenty of snacks (including the burntish granola) and I have 3 bottles of kombucha waiting for me in my bag.
Speaking of snacks, I owe y’all some recipes.

Good thing I took a picture of my last batch of not burnt granola
Apple Pie Granola:

1/2 cup raw honey
1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
1 cup almond meal
1 1/2 cups almond slivers or slices
1 1/2 cups dried apples, or equivalent to 2 dried apples if you’re drying your own
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
Preheat oven to 350 and cover a large baking sheet with tin foil
Pour everything in a large mixing bowl and combine well
Spread evenly onto foil covered baking sheet
Place in oven for 10 minutes then stir well
Place back in over for 10-15 minutes or until golden
Allow to cool on baking sheet (this is important, don’t skip this step)
Once cool, break apart pieces and store in an airtight container

Jonathan asked me why I eat kale, the same reason US Airways oversells flights, because I can
 Perfect Kale Chips:

1 bunch purple kale
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 teaspoon garlic powder

Cut leaves of kale away from the stem and discard the stems
In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and massage into the kale leaves until they are slightly darker, about 3 minutes (this is important to not make the kale bitter)
Place on dehydrator racks at,125 degrees - 135 degrees, over night, until crisp


You’re going to have to wait for the beef jerky recipe. I left my recipe card at home and I’m writing this from the Roanoke Airport while we wait to discover the fate of our flight.

Pray for my sanity.

No comments :

Post a Comment