the easiest roasted chicken ever

June 13, 2013

I may have reached a new level of crazy. Not the crunchy hippie crazy like you may be thinking of. (Although I’m sure you already may think that of me.) I’m doing a Tough Mudder this weekend.

If you don’t know what that is, let me explain. My family and I will travel up to the beautiful Beaver Creek tomorrow. (Beaver Creek is where we went on our honeymoon and I love that town.) Once we’re up in Beaver Creek, we will feast with some other great people Friday night. Saturday morning, at 8:40 am, myself and two other women will line up with a bunch of other crazy people for the first heat of the day. Together with my two other teammates, we will run through a 10-12 mile obstacle course. Not your gym class obstacle course though. We will conquer monkey bars covered in grease, and if we fall, we’re falling into nasty green water. We will jump into a pool of ice and water, dive under a log, and emerge on the other side to get out as fast as we can before hypothermia sets in. We will crawl through mud, get shocked, jump into more nasty water, and attempt to run up a half pipe. 3 hours of self-induced pain and torment. That we’re paying for. I’m sure you’re wondering why we would want to do this, and I am too. I don’t know why I want to do a Mudder. Do I think it will be fun? No. Do I think it will be easy? Heck no. Will I pass out after I’m done? Probably so. I’ll keep you updated.

My mother-in-law and I are splitting the cooking in the house. I am not the best at cooking for 4. I don’t cook enough food. When it was just paleo husband and I, I felt like I made too much food. When I cook it’s more like I’m making a snack for 4 for dinner. I’ve gotta work on my portions.

I have mastered roasted chicken. I love making it and it’s so easy. You might be thinking “I don’t have time to make a roasted chicken.” Cast out your negative thoughts right now. You’ve got time as long as you’ve got a crock-pot.


Ingredients:
3-5 pound who chicken, neck and gizzards removed, insides cleaned
1 orange, quartered
1 lemon, quartered
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons melted butter (just use real butter people! I heart Kerrygold)
2 teaspoons dried sage
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons dried rosemary
3 cups bone broth, more or less may be needed depending on the size of your crock pot (you can you chicken stock also)

Squeeze the juice from half of the orange and half of the lemon into the chicken cavity and then stuff with squeezed pieces, including the skin of fruit
Add 1 minced garlic clove to inside of the chicken as well
Place chicken in crock pot
Combine melted butter, sage, salt, and rosemary and brush evenly onto chicken
Fill crock pot with broth and add remaining lemon and orange pieces
Cook on low for 8 hours
Watch this Youtube video to figure out how to cut up a whole chicken:



No comments :

Post a Comment