TIP ME TUESDAY: KALE SALAD

April 22, 2014

My weekend was full of blessings. My parents flew in Friday morning and helped me host our housewarming party Friday night. I made the ultimate blogger fail and forgot to take pictures!! Sad face. But I can tell you it was awesome. I love to make sure guests in my home are well fed, so, I served a mac and cheese bar at the party. Yep, mac and cheese. Who doesn’t love it? I made it all and then put it in the crock pot on keep-warm and it was perfect. For toppings we had: white truffle oil (my fav), bacon, sauteed mushrooms, red peppers, green onion, an assortment of shredded cheeses, and grilled chicken. Amazing.

Easter was also this weekend. It was my first time hosting Easter dinner. I was slightly nervous for the ham, since it was my first time cooking one. But it was stellar. Everyone loved it...or they were just lying to me since they’re family...hmmm.
Recipe coming next Tuesday!

Our Easter menu consisted of:
Black-peppered goat cheese log and gluten free crackers
White truffle and bacon deviled eggs
Kale salad
Red pepper jelly and ginger glazed ham
Gluten free cornmeal chive biscuits (I subbed Bella's Gluten Free All-Purpose Baking Mix, cup for cup in this recipe)
Roasted fingerling potatoes
Steamed green beans

I am obsessed with my kale salad. Ever since my mother-in-law and I had a version of kale salad at our all time favorite restaurant, Hillstone, I have set out to make my own recipe.
The key to the salad is the right type of kale. I have tried curly kale, purple kale, and dinosaur/lacinato/tuscan kale. The best kale to use is dinosaur/lacinato/tuscan kale.
Another key is to cut up the serrano pepper using gloves or putting plastic bags on your hands, like I did. If you don’t do this, your fingers will burn. I also wear my glasses because I have had juices squirt into my eyes and those burned too. These peppers are dangerous, but have great flavor.
Kale Salad 
Printable Recipe Card 

Salad:

4 heaping cups dinosaur/lacinato/tuscan kale, roughly chopped and destemmed
1 cup roughly chopped green cabbage
1/4 cup fresh mint
1/4 cup fresh cilantro
1 scallion
1 serrano pepper, deseeded

Peanut vinaigrette dressing:

1/2 cup peanut oil
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
2 tablespoons Nakano seasoned rice vinegar
1 tablespoon Coconut Secret coconut aminos (you can substitute soy sauce if you want, I am allergic to soy and the coconut aminos taste exactly the same as soy sauce)
2 tablespoons honey

Toppings:

Chopped roasted salted peanuts
Shredded parmesan cheese

Method:

Add all of the salad ingredients, except the kale, into a food processor. Chop until it is pretty well chopped. Empty those ingredients into a bowl and set aside. Then, add in your kale to the food processor. Only chop this for about 5 seconds, you do not want it to be too fine. Combine with the rest of the salad ingredients into a bowl.
Whisk all of the dressing ingredients together until thoroughly mixed. Pour in small increments onto the salad and mix very well. You want to end of working some of the dressing into the kale. Add enough dressing so the salad is well covered but it is not pooling at the bottom of the bowl. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. Top with chopped peanuts and shredded parm when ready to serve.
What are some of your favorite Easter recipes?








I liked up with Tip Junkie for this post

No comments :

Post a Comment