30 Minute Meals: Shrimp Scampi

June 17, 2014


I’ve recently learned that Rachel Ray is a quazi-liar. When she says “30 minute meals”, she actually means “30 minutes for a professional chef, 2 hours for a home cook.” And those are usually the dinners I burn and my loving husband still eats anyways.

So I’ve set out to develop some actually 30 minute meals. The biggest thing I hear from my friends is that they don’t have time to cook. I think if we really evaluate our evenings, we actually do have 30 minutes to whip up a tasty meal. 

Last night was my first venture not only with my 30 minute meal challenge, but also with making shrimp scampi. As I was meal planning this week, I realized we had a pound of shrimp in the freezer I wanted to use up.  If you’re a shrimp snob, you may have just wrinkled your nose at my frozen shrimp statement. And that’s fine. 
I love Food Network humor…

Anyways, the first step is thawing the shrimp. I fill a mixing bowl with warm/hot water and let them soak. During this time, I let my pan warm to medium heat with olive oil and mince my garlic. Once my pan is nice and hot, I throw on the shrimp. DO NOT overcook the shrimp. You want them to be just slightly pink but not coral. 
Remove your shrimp from your pan and set them aside. I left the remaining olive oil in the pan. Next, add your minced garlic. Cook it until it is nice and fragrant but not browned. Browned garlic = bitter garlic. While the garlic is cooking, I bring my pot of water to a boil. 
This picture smells amazing.
Add your wine, lemon juice, and butter to the pan. Allow the mixture to come to a boil and then reduce the heat slightly. You want your sauce to reduce by about half. By now, the water in your pasta pot should be boiling (if you’re using an electric range, if you’re using gas, you should do this at step 1) so it’s time to put in the pasta and cook according to package directions. I used Barilla Gluten Free Spaghetti. Barilla has become my favorite GF pasta makers. I find this cooks up with a very very similar texture and taste to normal pasta.
Once it is reduced, add your Italian spices and shrimp back to the pan and turn off the heat. Give it a nice stir so your shrimp is coated in the delicious sauce. Strain your pasta and serve with plenty of shrimp and sauce. You can top with parsley and parmesan cheese if you’d like, we did that for ours. 

This meal, from start to finish, took me 27 minutes. No lie. I've got proof. I even had to thaw my shrimp.



http://www.tipjunkie.com/post/crafty-food-and-recipes-add-yours/

No comments :

Post a Comment